Thursday, August 30, 2007

In The Image of God

It is a slow news day. So, slow I actually ventured into the realms of Daystar, I feel like, I need a bath. Anyhow, they are once again ranting about the need to ordain women. I guess some people never learn. Just to top things off in the nothing new under the sun category, Karl Wyneken is using the same old tactic of I don't like what it says so I am going to change the meaning or barring that question whether it is applicable in our so called enlightened times. Yes, I am being overly simplistic and dismissive, but these arguments do not deserve the time of day. Particularly, when you realize they all ignore one basic principle of the church. The church is created in the image of God.

The image of God is a regular theme throughout the Bible. From the very beginning in Genesis to the very end of Revelation. Marriage it seems plays a large role in this image and it is this image that is key to understanding the make up of the church and ministry. My thoughts on this topic started many years ago, and it is now becoming a pet project of mine that I hope will culminate in a book. Anyhow, years ago I was pondering why it was so important to bring up the deception of Eve when speaking of pastoral authority in the letter to Timothy and it was during a lecture by Robert Gagnon at the seminary on the image of God and homosexuality that really sparked something. Typically, it has been accepted by biblical scholars that quotes of the Old Testament are not to be understood in isolation of their source but are to encompass their complete contextual meaning i.e. Christ on the cross. This lead me to thinking there must be something more than just the sin involved in the determination of women not holding pastoral authority. It is then it hit me. Marriage is the image of God and Eve's deception distorted the image of God and was solidified by Adam's sin. God's relationship with the church is often described in the terms of marriage. The New Testament reveals that the church is the image of God in that it is the body. The idea of the image of God in marriage is repeated frequently on different levels, so why not at the level of the pastor and the congregation. The relationship here is one of marriage. The pastor is the "bridegroom" to the congregations "bride," a woman serving in this fashion would disrupt the image God desired and thereby repeat the events of Genesis 3. Have you ever noticed just how much churches that allow women to serve as pastors have degenerated? It kind of fits when you compare it to the Fall.

Anyhow, I have been toying with this idea for sometime and I am now finally getting down to the business of actual research and solidifying my arguments. God willing, I will be able to submit manuscripts in the near future.

2 comments:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

You must not feel obliged to come and visit me. An invitation is not an intimation. Also know that if you click on one of my ads I'm promised to earn a couple of cents for that: I would feel happy and rewarded (because I realy need it!!!) if you did click it, but once again you're totaly free to do what ever you want. I, for instance, choose immediatly to click on one of your ads, in case you have them. To do so or not, that's the whole beauty of it all, however, blogocitizens must unite also by clicking-helping eachother when we know cybermegacorporations profit from our own selfishness regarding to that simple click.

About this I must say, by my own experience, that no one realy cares (maybe a few) about this apeal I make, still I believe in my Work and Dreams and thus I'll keep on apealing and searching so strong is my will.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

Lutheran Lucciola said...

I wrote also about this subject, and how I just don't understand the fetish with this subject with these women.

Most of these women are just angry in general. They are a drag to be around, truthfully.