Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Religion Kills The Mind

Why is it that supposed "free thinkers" and "atheists" believe that having religion means the end of rational thought? I mean really what is it about religion and thinking that make the mutually exclusive? These questions really baffle me. Normally, I don't give it much thought because this type of person does not regularly cross my path. Where I am at I am more likely to trip over a Mormon or an agnostic with pretentions aka Wiccan/Pagan. However, the other day while driving home for lunch, there was a car in the other lane with a bunch of bumper stickers on the back, well I can't help myself and stole a glance. The one that caught my eye was one that said "Evolution isn't a theory...", it had more but because we were still moving I did not catch the whole thing. Intrigued by what the bumper sticker had to say because everything else on the car indicated they would think evolution was God's own truth, I went on line to see if I could find the bumper sticker. Well, I did not find the bumper sticker but I found this website (not child friendly) selling bumper sticker and they were all pretty much of this sort.Seeing these I just had to wonder what makes thinking and religion polar opposites? Did recieving God's grace suddenly stop my ability to think? Hardly, I am thinking right now. In fact, anybody who thinks religion means the end of thinking is a bit on the ignorant side. Jesus himself stated, " Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 )

You can not be wise if you stop thinking. Through out the Bible we are encouraged to learn more, to study God's word and the world around us. We are not called to ignorance. Now, I will admit there have been more than enough earnest fools who get air time who can lead people to believe religion and thinking are mutually exclusive, but just because they have big mouths does not mean that what they say reflects an accurate position. Anyhow, enough about how the media only puts on those who will get them ratings.

Going by their own statements one would think that the items for sale would demonstrate a certain amount of intelligence and wit that would naturally come from their ability to think. Well, let us just say, that if vocabulary is an indication of intelligence; I would be forced to rate them fairly low. Granted there is only so much one can fit on a bumper sticker but that has not prevented people from being witty. However, I would have to say a bumper sticker stating "Bush is an __________" and "__________ Bush" would indicate a distinct lack of intelligence. If the best response they can come up with is a bumper sticker laced with crude invectives, it would be an indication that rejection of religion does not equate to the ability to think. One does not need to think much to blurt out a harsh four letter word. Why else would four letter words be the favorite of every person who smashed his thumb with a hammer, you do not have to think in order to say it. If they wished to make indicate their dislike of President Bush, they could have come up with something like "Save the world, transplant a Bush" (Lutherama, 2007), see I do not even hate Presiedent Bush and I can come up with a catchy bumper sticker.

When you get down to it they are shooting themselves in the foot. If you want people to believe rejection of religion is smart then do not resort to crude language. Be inventive and imaginative. Oh, wait I did forget. It is hard for a fool to be either.
The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good. Psalm 14:1

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

No comments: