Monday, May 7, 2007

Entertainment Weekly's Top 25 Sci-Fi of the Past 25 Years

Egads, I am not sure what the people at entertainment weekly were thinking when they put together this list.

How in their right minds can they include such dreadful pics as Starship Troopers and leave out great sci-fi such as Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, Tron and Fifth Element. I understand the book Starship Troopers is pretty good but the movie stunk.

I can't comment on some of them such as Brazil because I never even heard of it, but then that maybe a reason not to include it but I am honest enough not to let my ignorance get in the way.

However, I must disagree with The Matrix as number 1 there are better Sci-Fi examples. Neo and co. deserve a top 10 nod but not number one. I would probably bump Blade Runner up, I might even be so bold to place Babylon 5 at number one or even number two, it had a wonderful story arc and did a great job in developing its characters. And where by the way is Dune? Children of Men should not even get consideration since they mutilated its source material.

I do wish that they would have included books because the absolute best Sci-Fi is still in book form, but then it would be too hard to slim the list down. I mean who can decide which Timothy Zahn book gets number one?

Update: I can't believe I forgot about this one, just where is Farscape? I know it has the horrid atonal intro music but the show itself is good. And just where in the entirety of the cosmos is Red Dwarf?

Oh, no not another update: Gattaca deserves to be in the top ten, but I am not surprised it did not make the list. The editors of EW probably wanted to stay away from the truly important issues such as the implications of living in a society that does not cherish the gift of life.

No comments: