Wednesday, March 28, 2007

ERA is back


According to Crosswalk.com, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) is trying to bring back ERA. Now, I have serious doubts that it will pass, but one never knows. Whether or not it will pass is not really my concern with the ERA; my concern is, how will the ERA affect the Christian Church and its stance against female clergy?

According to a straight forward interpretation of the amendment we would be guilty of denying a fundamental right by denying women admission into the ranks of clergy. If you are counting on the 1st Amendment to protect you, don't. They will find a way around it. They may not make it illegal for us to operate but they will do everything they can to place financial pressure on the church. Mark my words, seminaries that insist on the truths of the Bible will no longer be able to provide their students access to federally guaranteed student loans and churches will lose their tax-exempt status. Of course, this doesn't take into account all of the lawsuits that will come against the church for its refusal to bow before the altar of the world.

I realize I sound alarmist, but I have lost faith in the people who serve us in elected positions. Really, it is hard to trust a person who looks to the Government for all the answers rather than to God. Tack on the fact that many of these so called tolerance people consider Christians backward, bigoted and incapable of thinking for themselves. Well, I think you can understand my reticence about thinking the church will not be affected by ERA.

No comments: